Monday, March 12, 2012

Big boy bed–Success or Failure?

We’ve been toying with the idea of getting Dylan into a toddler bed for a while. He is a good sleeper. He pretty much goes straight to sleep when you lie him down. And with the new baby coming in the summer I wanted enough time for him to get used to it before I have to get up with a baby all night.

We found the bed on craigslist this weekend and went to get it. I paid $25 for it, bought some spray paint, and used some work to clean it up (let’s just say it wasn’t up to snuff ) – and they wanted almost double that. That’s right, I’m awesome! Ben took it apart when we got home and cleaned and sanitized it. I washed the little wheels and hubcaps. Ben had some ideas about how he can improve it. They are kind of a work in progress, so stay tuned. So far he has painted the tail pipes chrome. He was going to do the hubcaps too, but the paint didn’t stick well. We have to brainstorm. He’s going to paint the tail lights, and has talked about putting real lights in the headlights! And we’re going to get a little license plate with his name on it. He’s so excited, and I love it! We got the Cars bedding from Babies ‘R Us on sale!

Ben wanted to try it out, and I was a little hesitant. I wanted to wait and try it for a nap first. I think I may have even said, “Don’t take my baby away from me yet.” *sigh I guess he has to grow up sooner or later. So we got the bed all made, continued with our bedtime routine, and got ready for a long night. After his bath I put his lotion on him on his new bed, instead of my bed. He liked that. Then we laid on it together and read some books while we waited for dada to come in for scriptures and prayers. After that I took some pictures, we turned on his noise, turned off the light, I sang him his song (with dada standing in to doorway watching since he was so excited), and laid him down in the bed with his “softie” and pacifier. He made no peeps as I walked away. I crossed my fingers and shut the door behind me. Still no sounds…

006

A little later Ben and I went in to check on him and he was sound asleep in the same position I put him down in! He sleeps like me, on his side with his hands by his face! I went in around 12am when I went to bed (late night), still asleep, but had kicked all his covers off. I woke up around 2:30am and went in to check on him again (my fear was he would be on the ground). He was still fast asleep in his bed, although he had turned himself width-wise with no covers again. So I turned him the right way and pulled his covers up. I’m so proud of my little man! He’s such a good boy.

008

Today he took his nap in his bed and did just fine again. He hasn’t quite figured out that he can get out of the bed alone yet. So he still calls out for me to come in when he wakes up, which I love (unless he’s crying uncontrollably). I love going in and having me tell me to turn off his noise and let the sunshine in (open the blinds). Then he puts his “softie” and pacifier “away,” which used to mean throw them into the pack n play. So now we have to train him to them on his bed. Today he came back out later with them in his possession. So I had him put them back, then I put his pillow over the top so he can’t find them. Winking smile All seems well, and I don’t see any problems in the near future. Once he figures out how to get out of bed, or if he ever decides he’s not tired? We’ll figure that out when we get there. For now? SUCCESS!!

009

The daylight savings has messed with him a little. Sunday morning he didn’t get up till 7:20am, which was really 6:20am for us since we had to “Spring” forward. So this morning he didn’t get up until 8:05am!!!!! It was so nice! I love being able to wake up and be alert before having to jump out of bed from a dead sleep to get my little man.

On a side note: This is a picture of Dylan at our music class the other day. He’s playing with the maracas. Note to any concerned about the color (dada): they get the color instruments the teacher hands out. Smile with tongue out They play with ribbons, tambourines, and maracas, then there are a few songs with out any instruments. It is fun and fun to see him with other kids getting used to the music and interacting with each other. LOVE IT!

001

0 comments: