Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Details...

I just thought I should tell you what I made and the secret I learned about how to make the perfect juicy and falling apart soft roast.
~Pot Roast with carrots
~green bean cassarole
~mashed potatoes (no they weren't homemade, but yes I can make some of the best ones you've ever had from scratch!)
~gravy
So I guess I am about to give away my mother's recipe and the secret I learned from Sheila Brosie one of the women in my ward who we hang out with.
Pot Roast:
1 packet Lipton's Onion soup mix
Chuck roast
carrots, onions, celery, potatoes
1 can cream of chicken (we don't like mushroom-we're trying onion this time)
1 can full of water
So you get your roast and put it into you pan. Put the veggies into the pan also, just around it on the bottom. Next add the cream of ____ soup on top of the roast. Then pour the packet of onion soup on top of that(if you are crazy like me you'll cut little slits in the roast and stuff some of the onion soup into it to make it taste "more flavorful"). Then add a can full of water into the pan.
Now you're all set to cook. Here is the secret part that has transformed my pot roast! It isn't about the temperature! It is about the time and temp! You need to slow cook it! I put mine in at 9:30am before getting ready for church and let it cook for 6 hours on 250 degrees. We didn't need any knives to cut or slice. It just fell apart when you touched it! It was amazing. Then you take out your veggies and make mashed potatoes or just have them baked (roasted?) and put them in a dish. You take all the juices from the soups and water and meat renderings and if needed add a little flour to thicken it. Sometimes the color is weird-it can stay yellowish from the soup if there is too much water when cooking. Whisk it up so there are no chunks and there you have it!
Ben was so excited to eat it and as you can tell from the pictures I was excited to share it. I told Ben I wished we had some people over for dinner, and he said that he didn't so he could eat it all! He actually had 2nd which he hasn't done with something I've made from scratch before. Neddless to say I felt pretty good about what I had done!
I hope this helps any of you who want to try or have had bad luck with pot roast in the past! I sound like a cooking show! HA! Anyway, if you try it make sure you let me know how it went!

1 comments:

amber {and co.} said...

This sounds great, I'll definitely have to try it! We love doing roasts (especially on Sundays so it can cook while we're at church) and are always looking for new ones to do, thanks for the recipe! :)